Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Coconut Oil Hair Mask: Repair hair, add shine, stay healthy!


Hey!

So because it's been awhile since I've blogged I decided to write a short post giving my number 1 best hair growth/hair health tip of all time. I promise it transformed my very damaged hair and I do think it has aided in my hair growth which is now just over 3 inches in 4 months!

I do two hair masks. The first is solely for the scalp so it's not as large. I scoop about 1 1/2 spoonfuls of coconut oil (because it's solid at room temp) and warm it until it's liquid. I then add about 5 drops of rosemary essential oil, 3 drops of lavender, and 3 drops of cedarwood. If you have thyme oil as well add a few drops of that. If you don't have any essential oils don't panic! You can for now just make some rosemary tea and add that to your coconut oil but here's a link to get some high quality oils for cheap prices: Rosemary oil, Lavender oilcastor oil, coconut oil  I then will add about 2 spoonfuls of castor oil which has been proven to reduce hair loss. You may use coconut milk from the can as well or instead of coconut oil. Apply to your scalp and massage for five minutes in circular motions.

For the second mask, I used about 3 spoonfuls of coconut oil and warm it in the microwave. You may use more if you have thicker or coarser hair and less if you have thin hair. Then I add 2 drops each of lavender and cedarwood. Sometimes I will add honey  (for moisture), egg (for protein), or my favorite deep conditioner such as Redken, John Freida, or the cheap Aussie deep conditioner. Whichever you have you may use or you can just stick to the coconut oil. Then add some olive oil and saturate the rest of your hair thoroughly. I like to comb through my hair with a wide tooth comb just to make sure. You can use a shower cap to cover your head or do like I do and just use a regular plastic grocery bag and tie it in the back. I like to put my TurbieTwist overtop to soak up any excess oils that might escape as well.

You may use this anywhere from 20 minutes to overnight! I like to use this overnight but make sure to put a towel (or two) over your pillow because coconut oil gets stuck in the fibers of pillowcases. When you shampoo it out, take your time to ensure you get all the oil and if you have fine hair shampoo twice so you don't end up all greasy! Ha ha! I like to use a sulfate free shampoo so some of the oil is left over. When I'm all finished I like to take a pea sized (or smaller) amount of coconut oil in my palm and warm it up between my hands and spread onto the ends of my hair when it's still damp to seal in the moisture. I like to use this at least once a week :)

Please comment below with suggestions or questions! I would greatly appreciate feedback! And, if you like my posts, become a follower or subscribe and we'll be internet pals!! Haha!

Good luck and I hope you end up with super shiny, fast growing hair! :)
Stay beautiful and spread the love!
KMB



Click here to see what vitamins I take for hair growth and to catch up on my daily life :)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment